What Motorcycles Have Cruise Control
Cruise control is a feature that many car owners are familiar with, allowing them to maintain a steady speed on long drives without keeping their foot on the gas pedal constantly. However, did you know that some motorcycles also come equipped with this convenient feature? In this article, we will explore what motorcycles have cruise control and how it enhances the riding experience for motorcycle enthusiasts.
Cruise control on motorcycles works similarly to that of cars, allowing riders to set and maintain a specific speed without needing to constantly adjust the throttle. This feature is particularly beneficial during long rides, as it reduces rider fatigue and allows for a more comfortable journey. Not only does it enhance the riding experience, but it also promotes safer riding by helping riders maintain a consistent speed.
While not all motorcycles come with cruise control, it is becoming more common in higher-end models and touring bikes. Here are some popular motorcycle brands that offer models with cruise control:
1. BMW Motorrad: Many of BMW’s touring motorcycles, such as the BMW K 1600 GTL, feature cruise control as a standard or optional feature.
2. Harley-Davidson: Some of Harley-Davidson’s touring models, like the Road Glide and Street Glide, come equipped with cruise control.
3. Indian Motorcycle: Indian Motorcycle offers cruise control on their touring bikes, including the Chieftain and Roadmaster models.
4. Honda: Honda Gold Wing, a popular touring motorcycle, has cruise control as a standard feature.
5. Yamaha: The Yamaha FJR1300 is a sport-touring motorcycle that offers cruise control as an optional feature.
1. Can I retrofit cruise control on my motorcycle?
Retrofitting cruise control on a motorcycle is possible, but it can be a complex and costly process. It is best to consult with a professional mechanic or the motorcycle manufacturer for guidance.
2. How does motorcycle cruise control work?
Motorcycle cruise control typically uses electronic systems to regulate the throttle and maintain a constant speed set by the rider.
3. Is cruise control only available on touring motorcycles?
While cruise control is more common in touring motorcycles, some sport-touring and even certain sport bikes also offer this feature.
4. Does using cruise control impact fuel efficiency?
Using cruise control can improve fuel efficiency by maintaining a consistent speed and reducing throttle fluctuations.
5. Can I use cruise control in heavy traffic or urban areas?
It is generally not recommended to use cruise control in heavy traffic or urban areas as it may hinder quick response to unpredictable situations.
6. Can I override the cruise control feature if needed?
Most motorcycles with cruise control allow riders to override the feature by simply applying the brakes or twisting the throttle.
7. Is cruise control reliable on motorcycles?
Modern motorcycle cruise control systems are designed to be reliable and safe, but it is important to always remain attentive and ready to take control of the bike if necessary.
In conclusion, while not all motorcycles have cruise control, it is a feature that is becoming more prevalent in touring and higher-end models. With its ability to enhance riding comfort and safety, motorcycle cruise control is a valuable addition for those who enjoy long rides and want to reduce rider fatigue.