What to Do in Marseille From Cruise Port
Marseille, located on the southeastern coast of France, is a vibrant and bustling city known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and delectable cuisine. If you find yourself docking at the Marseille cruise port, here are some must-see attractions and activities to make the most of your visit.
1. Explore the Old Port: Start your journey by strolling along the picturesque Old Port, the heart of Marseille. Admire the colorful boats bobbing in the water, soak in the lively atmosphere, and indulge in some fresh seafood at one of the many waterfront restaurants.
2. Visit Notre-Dame de la Garde: Perched on the highest point in Marseille, this iconic basilica offers breathtaking panoramic views of the city and the Mediterranean Sea. Take a short bus ride or hike up to the basilica and marvel at its stunning architecture and intricate mosaics.
3. Discover the Vieux-Port District: Step into the historic Vieux-Port District and wander through its narrow streets lined with charming shops, cafes, and bars. Immerse yourself in the local culture and savor the flavors of Marseille by sampling some traditional dishes like bouillabaisse or tapenade.
4. Explore the MuCEM: The Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations (MuCEM) is a striking modern museum that showcases the diverse cultures and histories of the Mediterranean region. Explore its fascinating exhibits and take in the beautiful views from its rooftop terrace.
5. Take a boat tour to the Calanques: Embark on a boat tour from the Old Port and discover the stunning natural beauty of the Calanques, a series of dramatic limestone cliffs and turquoise coves. Soak up the sun, go for a swim, or simply enjoy the breathtaking scenery.
6. Visit the Marseille Cathedral: Located in the city center, the Marseille Cathedral, also known as Cathédrale de la Major, is a magnificent Roman Catholic basilica with stunning interiors. Marvel at its grandeur and admire the intricate details of its architecture.
7. Indulge in shopping: Marseille is a paradise for shoppers, offering a plethora of options ranging from high-end boutiques to local markets. Explore the trendy Rue de la République, browse for unique souvenirs at the Cours Julien market, or immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Noailles neighborhood.
7 FAQs about Marseille Cruise Port:
1. How far is Marseille cruise port from the city center?
– Marseille cruise port is located right in the heart of the city, making it easily accessible by foot or public transportation.
2. Are there taxis available at the cruise port?
– Yes, taxis are readily available at the cruise port. You can easily find one to take you to your desired destination.
3. Can I explore Marseille on my own or should I book a shore excursion?
– Marseille is a safe and easily navigable city, so you can definitely explore it on your own. However, if you prefer a guided experience or want to visit attractions outside the city, booking a shore excursion might be a good option.
4. What is the best time to visit Marseille?
– The best time to visit Marseille is during the spring (April-June) or fall (September-November) when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are relatively smaller.
5. Are there any local delicacies I should try in Marseille?
– Absolutely! Marseille is famous for its bouillabaisse (a traditional fish stew), pastis (an anise-flavored liquor), and socca (a chickpea pancake).
6. Can I use Euros in Marseille?
– Yes, Euros are widely accepted in Marseille. Most establishments, including restaurants, shops, and taxis, will accept payment in Euros.
7. Is there luggage storage available at the cruise port?
– Yes, there are luggage storage facilities available at the cruise port, allowing you to explore Marseille freely without carrying your baggage.
Marseille offers a delightful mix of history, culture, and natural beauty, making it a captivating destination to explore. Whether you choose to wander through its charming streets, immerse yourself in its vibrant markets, or soak in the stunning coastal views, a visit to Marseille from the cruise port is sure to be an unforgettable experience.